Consequence - Playing a role

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
Anand

Consequence - Playing a role

Postby Anand » Nov 21, 2008 1:33 am

Hello Everyone

I am new to this forum (although not new to Dramatica though) :D

It would be of great help if someone could help me with applying these terminology.

The OS story is about an assasination attempt on a politician (Goal - Doing). The MC is blackmailed by IC to assasinate this politician. The story is about how the MC foils IC's plans.

Here is my problem - the consequence is playing a role (and not developing a plan since I chose doing as the story goal). I am not able to apply playing a role as the consequence>

Also, it has limited my storyform to 16 to choose from, however i am having difficulty in fixing the problem, solution, symptom and response - choose from cause, effect, result and process.

I do have a good grasp of all the other story points except this.

I would really apprecaite if someone could give real world examples please. Thanks a lot.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Consequence - Playing a role

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 23, 2008 11:21 am

From another post, you mentioned that the goal is the PREVENT the assassination.

With DOING as the Story Goal, this means that the goal is tied to some ongoing activity. Perhaps there is a series of political assassinations going on (Doing) which have yet to be stopped. They are all leading up to the most popular and/or last remaining politician (which also ties nicely to an Optionlock if you're interested). The goal, then, is to STOP THE DOING (assassinating).

What happens if the assassinations are not stopped? That is where the consequence comes in--Playing a Role. If the people of the city are not able to stop the killing, then....they must pretend to be supportive of the faction doing the killing. To be less generic, you must establish WHY the politicians are assassinated. What do the killers want? If the killers win, then everyone needs to pretend to get in line or risk being killed themselves.

That's just one way of illustrating a Consequence of Playing a Role.

If your story is a Success story, then the Consequence never comes into full play (though it is always lurking in the background until the goal is achieved).
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Practical Dramatica”