Story Form - How do I find out which one was selected?

Discuss the practical use of Dramatica. Have questions about how throughlines should be used, how to create Complex Characters or even the various combinations of the 12 Essential Questions and how they will affect your story go here.
jmarg11

Story Form - How do I find out which one was selected?

Postby jmarg11 » Aug 10, 2008 10:45 am

I just started using Dramatica Pro, and part way through the process it announced I'd answered enough questions to determine the story form. It then advised that I start over to see if a different Story Form would be chosen and that I should then determine which I liked better.

How do I get it to show me what Story Form was chosen?

How do I compare Story Forms if it doesn't tell me what the chosen form is?

I thought that maybe I'd have to continue further in the process, but it specifically told me to stop where I was.

If you understand this part of the software please let me know what I'm supposed to do.

Thank you

jmarg11

Re: Story Form - How do I find out which one was selected?

Postby jmarg11 » Aug 13, 2008 10:34 am

I thought that with everyone here who has been using Dramatica Pro that people would have an embarrassingly simple solution for me (perhaps something obvious I missed).

Is it that Dramatica has a weak spot and no one here actually understands the story form aspect?

I'm sincerely interested to know, because if this is the case, I'll simply proceed and see what happens instead of staying stuck here.

Thank you again.

Graham
Published Writer

Postby Graham » Aug 16, 2008 8:02 am

I use the Story Engine Settings report (Reports -> Advanced Reports -> Story Engine Settings) which shows the details of the story form you've chosen. You can then print or save to a text file.

The same information is also available in The Brainstorming (Spin-the-Model) tool, which, if you click the SPIN button, can show you the # of your storyform.

Graham

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Aug 20, 2008 10:12 am

There are several places to find out what your storyform is once you've reached a single storyform.

The easiest is to go to the Story Points window and look around through there. It's not an efficient way to explore your storyform, but it does give a little bit of explanation and context.

Another way is to go to the reports window. The most efficient way to see everything is to choose the Story Engine Settings report from the Advanced Reports. I recommend clicking on the "Vocabulary" button so that the short definitions are listed at the end of the report. Print this report out for later reference as you create alternate versions. There are many other reports (in fact, most all of them) that give you insight into the storyform chosen. You might want to check these out as well.

Another way is to go to the Story Engine window (Storyforming > Story Engine...). Though this window does not show you all the story points, it does show you a lot of key story points.

There are still other ways to see your storyform, but those are the most direct and helpful for those new to Dramatica.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

jmarg11

Postby jmarg11 » Aug 20, 2008 11:12 am

Hi Graham,

Thank you very much for this information. I will try this :P

Jennifer

Mwoll
Writer

Postby Mwoll » Oct 28, 2009 9:55 am

As a new user myself, I had trouble with this. I wish there were some way to compare them side by side, but alas...

Graham
Published Writer

Re: Story Form - I wish there were some way to compare them

Postby Graham » Oct 28, 2009 6:21 pm

When I have two storyforms I want to compare, I export the Story Engine Report to a separate text file for each storyform. I then open both text files and maximize each window (so the text in each file will be in the same position on the screen). Then I compare the reports by switching back and forth between the two files (Alt-Tab in Windows).

Graham

Mwoll
Writer

Postby Mwoll » Oct 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Thanks Graham, that's a good idea.

Return to “Practical Dramatica”