Is conflict inequity?

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
adambein
Published Writer

Is conflict inequity?

Postby adambein » Feb 06, 2016 9:14 am

Is conflict inequity? Should I think about conflict or should I dump THAT way of thinking and instead, think more in terms of 'inequity'? (Seeing's how I no longer think of the term 'hero' and instead , MC & Protagonist thanks to you Chris and Melanie). Is 'conflict' old nomenclature-to be replaced with 'inequity'?

Thx.

adambein
Published Writer

If conflict was a birthday cake/Categories of essential elem

Postby adambein » Feb 13, 2016 12:19 pm

If conflict/inequity was a birthday cake, what are the categories of it's essential ingredients?

Regarding conflict:
1. Should one think of conflict as inequity?
2. Should one not think OF 'conflict' but instead, 'inequity' (in the same way one no longer thinks of 'hero', but instead 'Protagonist'/'Main Character')?

When it comes to creating a birthday cake, essential ingredients MUST be used, each of which definitely does fall into a category (ie: Milk would be a category, 2% cows milk would be an actual ingredient. 'Sugar' would be a category, 'brown cane sugar' would be an ingredient).

So...
3. When it comes to assembling conflict/inequity situation, what are the categories (not the ingredients, as there are many) that must be used?

4. If conflict is 'Z' in a mathematical formula in which A + B = Z, is A one of the Static Plot Story Points ('Goal', 'Requirements', 'Consequences', 'Forewarnings', 'Dividends', 'Costs', 'Prerequisites', 'Preconditions')? Are THESE the categories of 'ingredients' in our conflict/inequity birthday cake?
5. Is conflict/inequity a reaction TO one of the Static Plot Story Points?

A character is sitting in an empty room. What essential elements must occur to have conflict/inequity?
The character has a precondition (they're in a room). No conflict or inequity at this point.
There is a large fire. No conflict yet but there is now another condition/pre-condition).
There is a large fire and no way to get out? No. The fire could be far enough away, so there's no precondition any more.
There's a large fire, it's close to the character, and no where for the character to get out? No, no conflict yet. We haven't assessed for desire in the character TO get out, so there's no goal and no precondition.
Bump that up a notch further: There's a large fire, the character wants to get out NOW, but there's no way for the character to get out. NOW there's a , a precondition, a goal, and a cost.

Wait, do we need 3 static story points at a minimum (and a character, and a location) to create conflict/inequity? A + B + C = 'Z' (conflict/inequity)?

Basically, what's the formula for conflict?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Is conflict inequity?

Postby Chris Huntley » Feb 24, 2016 10:58 am

No, Conflict is NOT inequity.

Conflict is the byproduct of the effort to resolve inequity meeting resistance. Conflict is the "smoke" indicating that something is burning.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

adambein
Published Writer

Conflict is not inequity, conflict is a byproduct!

Postby adambein » Feb 29, 2016 7:56 pm

YOU'RE A GENIUS. You are absolutely right-wow, I didn't look at it that way.

Thank you for answering my question. I believe this is an important topic.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”