Story Static Points

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
PedroSantos
Writer

Story Static Points

Postby PedroSantos » Dec 30, 2013 11:47 am

Hello again,

WHen choosing the type of Story Static Points can they be repeated? And it's useful choosing the Type of lets say... Requirement even though I know what the requirement will be?
Can a Throughline have more than one Type?

And can you point out a sucessful story without a well defined goal ?

Thank you.

kintelary
Writer

Re: Story Static Points

Postby kintelary » Dec 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Hello, I don't understand, but it is good to communicate.

1) Can Static Story Points be repeated?
Why would you repeat them?

2) If I know what the requirement will be, is it useful to choose the Type?
Choosing the Requirement is a Type.
What do you mean? Did you illustrate the Requirement and now choose its Type?

3) Can a Throughline have more than one Type?
What do you mean?
All of the Types in a particular Domain are explored within that Throughline.

4) A successful story without a well defined goal?
Do you mean Success as one of the essential questions?
Success is defined by obtaining the goal.
If the goal is not defined, then how will the audience know that the story goal was successful?
But is that what you mean?

PedroSantos
Writer

Postby PedroSantos » Dec 31, 2013 4:45 am

So sorry for being vague.

1) FOr instances the Type of Requirement might be Obtaining same as Type of Consequences.

2) Exactly

3) I didn't understood your explanation. So all types are explored in a throughline??

4) A sucessful I mean a well known story. An exemple in real world.

Thank you for your patient.

kintelary
Writer

Postby kintelary » Dec 31, 2013 4:39 pm

I find it easier to try to make sure I understand before just continuing with an exploration. Seems harder for people to follow when I don't ask for clarification. Patience is very easy online. :)

1) I think not. If the requirement and the consequence are the same, then you are reaching the goal and not reaching the goal at the same time. This is a structural consideration. Requirement Type represents what is necessary to achieve the goal and Consequence Type represents what happens if the goal is not achieved. If these two things are illustrated the same, what will that look like to the audience?

2) So, you are trying to apply Dramatica Theory to a story you already have written? Do you have Dramatica Pro 4 or Story Expert for Mac?

3) There are 4 Throughlines. Each Throughline is explored through one Class/Domain each. When each domain is explored during the story timeline, each Type is explored in a particular order (depending on choices you make) and all 16 Types are explored in the Grand Argument Story. (Again, seeing it in Dramatica Pro 4 or Story Expert for Mac helps a lot).

4) Dramatica calls complete stories, Grand Argument Stories and generally everything else is called a Tale. I think some movies and such can have goals without very strong consequences or costs and rewards along the way, but none that I can think of as "successful." Do you have an example of a story without a clearly defined goal that inspired you or are you having trouble clearly defining the goal in your own story?

Happy New Year. :)

P.S. I am just thinking with you, I am not an Expert here, so thank you for your patience too. :)

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 31, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, static story points DO repeat -- at least once per signpost (ideally). Each throughline has its own static story points, which need to be explored within the confines of the respective domains.

For example, the Story Goal and Story Consequence should make an appearance at least once in the Overall Story Signpost 1, the Overall Story Signpost 2, the Overall Story Signpost 3, AND the Overall Story Signpost 4. (The same is true of all other static story points with the caveat that some works do not have the 'real estate' to explore everything in every Signpost.)

Why? Because each signpost creates a different context within which to explore / expose the static plot points in an attempt to discover the source of the inequity at the heart of the story. They can also be seen as ways to test the imbalances created by the story inequity by discovering what works to re-balance the conflict and what works to further push the conflict into greater imbalance.

By the end of the story, the source of the inequity is revealed by the various testing and retesting of the static story points within the changing contexts manifested by the signposts.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

PedroSantos
Writer

Postby PedroSantos » Jan 02, 2014 9:03 am

Thank you both of you.

Happy new year.

kintelary
Writer

Postby kintelary » Jan 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Thanks for having the discussion.
Through discussion, clarification comes into focus.
I hope it was helpful; it was helpful to me. :)

Enjoy 2014!

Return to “Dramatica Theory”