KATD Functions

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

KATD Functions

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 20, 2013 9:13 am

Hi,
Can you explain something related to the functions of the quad?

As I've understood Melanie's blogs and her Youtube videos, the elements of each quad are forms of Knowledge, Ability, Thought and Desire. She put Knowledge in upper left, Thought in lower right, Ability in upper right and Desire in lower left.

Looking at the Dramatica chart at rest, I wanted to see if I could match the components in each Element level quad with those four. What really helps is that no dynamic pairs flip top to bottom. They just slant left or right. Some of the Elements are actually labeled with those names, so I was able to match the Elements within two Type level quads just by seeing which other pairs are matched with them.

Is there an easy way to identify which elements are which functions? I guess they wouldn't always stay in the positions mentioned above because the elements are rotating depending on which through line you're looking at.

Thanks. I'm continuing with my story into the treatment, which I'll work on this weekend. The backstories of my two SS characters are interesting and I'll go with them. I'm just curious whether the justification levels using the KATD will come out the same.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: KATD Functions

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 20, 2013 2:52 pm

No easy method because the move position relative to other quads vertically and horizontally, and unequally. Plus the labels take the domain into consideration at the Type and Variation levels.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: KATD Functions

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 21, 2013 11:18 am

Too bad. I did notice something interesting about the Inequity/Equity quad. That's where my story focuses. If you go through all four domains, each seems to be:
KA AK
DT TD
The exception being the upper left of the Situation domain:
KK AA
TT DD

AA KK
DD TT
I could see this making sense.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”