Mental Sex

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Mental Sex

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Hi,
I found what I think is a handle on interpreting Mental Sex (aka Problem Solving Style). Reading this article "Blind Sided!" by Melanie:
http://storymind.com/mental_relativity/blind_sided.htm

I started constructing a bar graph with X-Y axes. The X is labelled Space (male) and the Y is labelled Time (female). The bars of various lengths jutting up from the X axis are a variable value. As I rotated the graph, making X or Y be horizontal, I noticed I could make one be a focus and the other axis be a benchmark. Melanie's article talked about the female waiting a duration to see whether something will last over time. I interpret that as making the time axis be horizontal and looking across to be sure the height of the bars is consistent. The opposite way would be making the space axis be horizontal and looking across to make sure the bars exist in every moment of time.

Perhaps the liking/disliking is a general criterion, represented as that bar. If it exists, men will go after it. Women would rotate the graph to be sure the bar of what they like maintains its height over the time axis.

Hopefully, this isn't a distortion of the premise, but it seemed to jibe with what she's said in a way that doesn't overly generalize differences between male and female mental sex characters.

One video

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Mental Sex

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Another method occurred to me since posting that. I thought for female mental sex, a good diagram might have something jotted down with points around it, each representing a variable. You draw lines linking these points and connecting back to that center thing. It's a way of free diagramming how the variables impact on each other and are impacting on that center thing. I haven't tried it yet, but the need will come soon as I'm drafting the IC in my story now.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”