IC unique ability of Deficiency

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

IC unique ability of Deficiency

Postby phillybudd » Nov 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Chris, I'm wondering if there any examples you could offer, either extant or synthetic, of an IC having a unique ability of Deficiency. This is one aspect of my IC I've been neglecting because I haven't quite wrapped my head around it.

The MC is the IC's wizardly apprentice.

Perhaps it would be useful to flesh this out a little:

MC Unique Ability/Critical flaw = Preconditions/Repulsion
IC Unique Ability/Critical flaw = Deficiency/Reappraisal

Jeff

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: IC unique ability of Deficiency

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Hey Jeff --

I can't think of a real world example off the top of my head, but I can make up one or two:

VERSION #1: The IC constantly points out the MC's deficiencies, which undermines the MC's desire to become a full wizard (which also just happens to be a precondition set for him to succeed his father and save his country from an evil uncle).

VERSION #2: The IC's own deficiencies as a wizard undermines the MC's desire to become a full wizard. MC: "He's no wizard. He couldn't turn ham into a sandwich!". You could still have it that the MC becoming a wizard also just happens to be a precondition set for him to succeed his father and save his country from an evil uncle.

I hope that helps.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: IC unique ability of Deficiency

Postby phillybudd » Nov 09, 2012 7:23 am

Yes, thanks!

So, it turns out I haven't been neglecting that part of his role at all. Everyone thinks that the IC mentor is the primary antagonist's grovelling toady, and so they have little respect for him. It turns out later, however, that... well, I don't want to give away everything.

So the "deficiency" of respect and attention he garners is what empowers him to act surreptitiously.

Thanks,

Jeff

Return to “Dramatica Theory”