"Misery" Throughlines

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
farmboy

"Misery" Throughlines

Postby farmboy » Oct 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi,

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on "Misery"

Is the OS Throughline Manipulation or Situation and what are the rest of the Throughlines?

Many TIA
Nick

Clint541963
Published Writer

Re: "Misery" Throughlines

Postby Clint541963 » Oct 20, 2011 5:29 pm

It has been a while since I've seen it but I would say the main character is the writer and he is in situation and the kidnapper is in fixed attitude. James Caan character is kidnapped. He is stuck. Cathy Bates (is that right?) She is infatuated with the writer and his stories. I would say she definitely has a fixed attitude as to how the writer should be, how he should write, and what he should write.
WorkingMan Productions
Sam Potter
Screenwriter

farmboy

Postby farmboy » Oct 20, 2011 9:31 pm

Thanks Clint.

Yes I think you're right. That would lead the MC Throughline to be Situation and the IC to be in Fixed Attitude which would work.

Would the OS through line be Activity (him trying to escape, her trying to keep him) or Manipulation ?

Cheers
Nick

Clint541963
Published Writer

Postby Clint541963 » Oct 21, 2011 2:33 pm

I would have to say the Overall Story is Activity. and the Relationship Story is Manipulation. Most of the story focuses on the writer and the kidnapping fan and there seems to be a lot of manipulation going on in their relationship. Can you make some specific arguments as to why everyone in the overall story is involved in Activity? Can you sight some specific evidence showing manipulation?
WorkingMan Productions
Sam Potter
Screenwriter

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 23, 2011 11:27 am

I completely agree with Clint. When looking at the "big picture" of Misery, you must include ALL the characters, such as the sheriff, search party, book publisher, etc. The inciting event is the crash (Driver of Action), and rescuing the famous author is what the Overall Story throughline is about. The Relationship Story throughline of Manipulation/Psychology, however, is given far more screen time (and page count) than the OS, as are the MC and IC throughlines
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Clint541963
Published Writer

Postby Clint541963 » Oct 23, 2011 3:17 pm

I am going to suggest that the Relationship Story concern is Conceiving an idea. The writer has written a book and the kidnapper is very unhappy that he has killed off her favorite character. The relationship is all about conceiving a new story that keeps that character alive. Kidnapper will not let him go and manipulates him into writing a story she is happy with. Writer hopes she will let him go if he does as she pleases. Writer is also conceiving an idea as to how to escape while kidnapping fan conceives of ways to keep him.

This puts the Overall Story into a concern of Gathering Information which seems to fit as all of the Overall Characters are gathering information as to what happened to the missing writer while the antagonist is misleading and misdirecting information.

This puts the Main Character in a Concern of the Present. There is no future if he doesn't stay alive right now. He is in a crisis situation.

This puts the Impact Character in a concern of Contemplation. The Kidnapper has all the facts, knows all the impact - both positive and negative; she is fully aware of detrimental consequences and still decides on the poor course of action, there is something wrong with the way she arrives at conclusions. She is steadfast and never changes her course of destruction.
WorkingMan Productions
Sam Potter
Screenwriter

farmboy

Postby farmboy » Oct 24, 2011 8:41 am

Excellent feedback thanks guys.

Really helpful.
Cheers
Nick

Return to “Dramatica Theory”