IC as antagonist issue

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

IC as antagonist issue

Postby phillybudd » Dec 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Chris,

I am using a thinned down storyform for part 1 of my novel, which contains a lot of back story but does play a role in the overall plot -- and then part 2 is a full-fledged storyform. (Part 3 is mostly just denouement).

The MC-Protagonist and IC in part 1 become IC-Protagonist and Antagonist, respectively, in part 2 (with the main character now being a MC-sidekick to the IC-Protagonist).

To set up this new relationship in part 2, I have given the IC in part 1 several "antagonistic" characteristics (esp. in the dimensions of Motivation and Methodology). However, I remember a discussion somewhere -- either in the book or in this forum (but can't find it anywhere) -- of problems that arise when the IC is also the Antagonist.

Please enlighten me...

Thanks,

Jeff

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: IC as antagonist issue

Postby Chris Huntley » Dec 09, 2010 11:35 am

It's not so much a problem, as the fact that you should not assume an Impact Character is the antagonist. Making the IC the antagonist is fine. In fact, it is the de facto default for many thriller and horror stories.

So, there are no inherent problems assigning the IC to the same player as the Antagonist that I can forsee.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: IC as antagonist issue

Postby phillybudd » Dec 09, 2010 4:45 pm

Ah, OK. Hm.... I must have dreamed that then.... it occurred to me after making this post that it is was fine, since there is no real antagonist in part 1, only the impact character moving in that direction.

Thanks.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”