IC Throughline vs. SS Throughline

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
Farnsworth
Writer

IC Throughline vs. SS Throughline

Postby Farnsworth » Nov 28, 2010 6:35 am

I'm a little confused as to the distinction between these two throughlines.

It seems like every scene I illustrate that involves the impact character also involves the main character debating with him, which naturally places them in the SS throughline. And since the SS throughline is supposed to be viewed only in the way that it impacts the main character, doesn't that force it to naturally overlap with the IC throughline?

Obi Wan Kenobi is a good example. 90% of his scenes in "Star Wars" have him interacting with Luke, which places them in the SS throughline. He does have the odd scene where he's on his own (disabling the tractor beam and so forth), but not nearly enough to add up to a complete throughline.

Looking for some advice. :)

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: IC Throughline vs. SS Throughline

Postby Chris Huntley » Nov 30, 2010 3:24 pm

The SS (Subjective Story, aka MC/IC throughline) is about the RELATIONSHIP between the Main Character and the Impact Character. In Star Wars, it's the Master/Student relationship.

The IC throughline is about the Impact's Character's influence on the Main Character. In Start Wars, when Obi-wan says, "That's your uncle talking..." to Luke, he is acting as IC. However, when he says something like, "...if you're to travel with me to Alderaan...", that's the SS relationship.

It need not be cut and dried, but the areas of discussion are different. The IC and SS throughline are in different domains, so the nature of the discussions are different.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Farnsworth
Writer

Re: IC Throughline vs. SS Throughline

Postby Farnsworth » Dec 01, 2010 8:13 am

Good answer. It's almost as if you've thought about this theory of yours. :)

Return to “Dramatica Theory”