IC SITUATION

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
VTFischwire
Published Writer

IC SITUATION

Postby VTFischwire » Oct 14, 2010 11:05 pm

I have an IC of situation with a concern of the future. He is the head of an organization and worries about the future of it and whether or not it will even exist. His fears about the future are what impact the main character in the story. I am just unsure how to encode an IC with a situation throughline. Is it like the other throughlines, but only we are exploring how his situation, uncertainty about the future, or to be more exact his want to control the future or affect the outcome impacts the main character.
His issue is preconception so maybe his unwillingness to see an alternative future than the one he has planned causes stress for the MC.
I am still a little unclear on how the impact throughline differs from the subjective throughline.
Would encoding it as he unwillingness to reevaluate the future be a good direction in which to go?
Also the IC throughline reflects the IC's impact on the MC so if it is one of situation could the IC perhaps put the MC in some sort of situation or would it only be the IC's situation that affects the MC?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: IC SITUATION

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 15, 2010 2:16 pm

Without knowing what the MC Fixed Attitude is, it is difficult to give specific suggestions for encoding your IC Throughline, but you are one the right track.

Here is a general example:

Fred (MC) is germaphobic and is fixated on staying away from other people in order to remain clean and healthy.

Archie (IC) is a preeminent scientist and futurologist who happens to be a quadriplegic, house bound, and suffering from a disfiguring birth defect.

Now imagine if Fred is forced to work with Archie in Archie's home, considering Fred's fear of germs and Archie's infirmities and inability to travel. Sparks will fly.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

VTFischwire
Published Writer

Postby VTFischwire » Oct 17, 2010 10:12 pm

What about the IC's position in the company. The IC is the big boss and because of that he talks down to the MC, always assumes he is correct (because he is the boss).
So in short the reason the MC listens to him, and follows what he says is because he is the boss. Would this be a situation IC?
The boss is very stubborn and won't listen to reason, thinking that the lowly employees don't know what they are talking about, and that only he in his position can accurately decide anything. I thought his stubborness might make him a Fixed Attitude, but looking at it again it all revolves around being the boss. This is how he is able to impact the MC.
Is this correct?

VTFischwire
Published Writer

Postby VTFischwire » Oct 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Thinking about it a little more and the questions that arose were:

Why does my MC listen to the IC?
Why does the MC care what the IC thinks?
Why doesn't the MC tell the IC to go have relations with himself (keeping it clean for the message board) rather than following his stupid ideas?

All of these questions seem to point to the fact that he is her boss and that she needs the job. Are these questions to ask about an IC throughline, or are they more of a Subjective Throughline thing?

It is not that she argues with him on how to be a boss or even questions why he is, just that he is able to impact her because of his position in the company.

I feel on the verge of a major dramatica breakthrough. Please let me know if this is even close.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 19, 2010 9:48 am

The IC being a superior fits perfectly well as a Situation domain IC.

Your questions...

Why does my MC listen to the IC?
Why does the MC care what the IC thinks?
Why doesn't the MC tell the IC to go have relations with himself (keeping it clean for the message board) rather than following his stupid ideas?

...well, those are the questions YOU need to answer, because that will be what the story is partially about. (Don't forget that there is an Overall Story throughline contrasting these subjective throughlines too.)
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

VTFischwire
Published Writer

Postby VTFischwire » Oct 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks for the quick responses Chris. It has given me a lot to think about when considering how to present my story.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”