MC problem = LACK of Reaction

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

MC problem = LACK of Reaction

Postby phillybudd » Oct 10, 2010 2:26 pm

I've been playing around with a particular storyform, and ended up with my MC's problem being REACTION and solution being PROACTION.

But when I read the Throughlines report, I find this:

Unfortunately, Antonio's lack of Reaction is what gets him into trouble. In fact, this imbalance causes trouble for everyone else as well. Only if Antonio comes to realize that it is his own deficiency of Reaction that is causing all the problems will he be able to set things right. The question is, will he see this before his options run out?

This was the first time I've seen the problem show up as a LACK of something, and I assume that comes from the way I answered other questions. Now, the LACK of reaction makes good sense here -- the other characters are running around trying to find a way of confronting an urgent problem, while Antonio believes he knows how to simply make the problem go away, so isn't bothering to "respond", much to the dismay of the others. However, the report only mentions the solution in passing and does not go into it.

So the question this raises then, is the solution also a LACK item -- in this case, a LACK of proaction? Can other things also be LACK items? For example his critical flaw is REAPPRAISAL -- can (or should) this be a LACK of REAPPRAISAL?

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: MC problem = LACK of Reaction

Postby phillybudd » Oct 11, 2010 12:19 pm

I found the answer to my question, from the Dramatica book:
For example, the Solution for too much or too little logic is more or less feeling.

So the Solution to my character's lack of Reaction is more Proaction.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: MC problem = LACK of Reaction

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 15, 2010 1:22 pm

That's how I would read it.

The lack or too much of something is related to the MC Growth: Start or Stop.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”