main story and sub-story merge at climax?

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

main story and sub-story merge at climax?

Postby phillybudd » Oct 01, 2010 5:37 am

Chris et al:

I have read with interest the advise on sub-story in the Tips of the Month section, as I am also using one in my novel. One "Tip" uses the example of Han Solo's and Jaba the Hutt's sub-story as a way of breaking the deadlock between Luke and Han regarding the princess ("she's rich!"). In my case, I want the sub-story and the main story to meet at the climax, and so the sub-story is to be much more "present" than in that example. I have been experimenting with different storyforms for the sub-story that will make this work.

I'm wondering if anyone could put their finger on some examples where the kind of thing I'm describing happens (and works "Dramatica-lly")? I would like to see how others have handled it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: main story and sub-story merge at climax?

Postby Chris Huntley » Oct 01, 2010 10:17 am

The closest one I can think of actually has two stories blended into a single work, and that is the film "Jerry Maguire." There is the sports story, with Jerry as the Steadfast Main Character, and Rod Tidwell as the Change Impact Character. There is also the love story with Dorothy Boyd as the Steadfast Main Character, and Jerry as the Change Impact Character.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

phillybudd
Best-Selling Writer

Re: main story and sub-story merge at climax?

Postby phillybudd » Oct 02, 2010 6:55 am

Thanks, I'll have to take a look at that over the weekend. Been ages since I've seen it.

Return to “Dramatica Theory”