10th edition error?

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
jdavidr

10th edition error?

Postby jdavidr » Sep 24, 2010 4:08 pm

Howdy folks! Hey, I've been combing through the tenth edition paper copy and noticed that the fixed attitude elements matrix (pg 407) does not match the theme browser in the software (in fact it matches the activity elements in the 10th edition) I'm making the assumption that the book was in error, am I correct in this?

Also, a related question, and one that I maybe premature in asking, but what exactly is going on with the movement of elements across these matrix's? If I look at it using archetypal characters as a template guide I can see that there is movement happening with the skeptic and sidekick vs emotion and reason and also movement seems to be occurring across decision and action elements. I'm curious, it appears that the passenger archetypes are being laid across the driver archetypes differently depending on the throughline, what is the particular reasoning here? I suspect the roots lie somewhere in the differences between states and processes vs internals and externals, am I on the right track?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: 10th edition error?

Postby Chris Huntley » Sep 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Yes, that was an errata -- one of many -- introduced (by me) in the first printing of the 10th Anniversary book. All known errata were corrected in the second printing of the 10th anniversary version.

Yes, you are on the right track. The reason it is noticeable is that we chose to use the same 64 element labels in each domain and show the differences by rearranging them. We preferred this to creating 256 element labels, which were impractical due in part to the fact that the English language is not sufficiently evenly nuanced to make the distinctions, e.g. the difference between Situation > Pursue and Manipulation > Pursue, etc.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”