Option Lock

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
VTFischwire
Published Writer

Option Lock

Postby VTFischwire » Jul 26, 2010 11:29 am

I seriously doubt this is correct but...
If a story involves a protagonist who will never stop trying different things, until he meets the goal would that be an option lock..i.e. the story will only end when he finds the way to succeed?
I guess what I am saying is an option lock suggests many options that once exhausted will end the story, but what if not all the options are used. For instance Aladdin finds perfect happiness after the 2nd wish and decides not to use the 3rd.
Do all the options need to be used in an option lock story to end it or can it end once the characters have found the correct option?
For that matter does all the time in a timelock story need to run out before the end?

VTFischwire
Published Writer

Re: Option Lock

Postby VTFischwire » Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm

And then again, what about adding options to an already pre-set limit. For example in Return of the Jedi, we know that Luke is the only Jedi left and that if he cannot beat Vader and the Emperor then all hope is lost. Then we get this scene where Obi Wan and Yoda are discussing things and they mention that there is ONE OTHER who is capable.
Now we never get to see Leah in action, but what if Luke failed. Would the story still have worked if they employed the additional option they had set up later in the film?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Option Lock

Postby Chris Huntley » Aug 01, 2010 7:27 pm

In your examples, you've got the option part right but there is no "lock." An optionlock is a set number of options that define when or where the story climax/crisis will occur--generally as the last option is exhausted.

That is why the story point is called the Story LIMIT. If it does not act as a limit, then it does not satisfy the function of the story limit.

The "there is another" comment in Return of the Jedi is opening up the story for sequels. It is an unexplored potential, which I believe was a dramatic waste if they weren't going to use it. It seems to point to an out "outside" of the preset limit.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Dramatica Theory”