How do you relate Dramatica theory to non-Dramatica users?

Come here to ask questions or give advice about the theory that forms the basis of Dramatica.
dietelco
Published Writer

How do you relate Dramatica theory to non-Dramatica users?

Postby dietelco » Jun 16, 2009 7:42 am

hey all (again),

I sure hope Chris is reading this one!

Do you peeps out there have experiences of trying to relate dramatica theory to non-dramatica users?

I realise that many standard terms used in the industry have different meanings in dramatica. I mean, how do you explain a "beat" in dramatica terms?

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: How do you relate Dramatica theory to non-Dramatica users?

Postby Chris Huntley » Jun 17, 2009 2:49 pm

I guess my first question would be, "How do YOU explain a beat in non-Dramatica terms?" If you would define it for me, I can "translate" it for you.

One of the nice things about Dramatica's (endless) terminology is that it gives a language to abstract story concepts. For example, if I refer to a Main Character, I know what that does and does not mean in Dramatica. In non-Dramatica-speak, it could mean a protagonist, a main character, a protagonist/main character, a "hero," a principle character in a story, and so on.

In Dramatica, a main character is the character through whom the audience experiences the story. It is a persective in the story that reveals the personal side of development, the "I" perspective.

By the way, my guess is that a "beat" is generally used to describe a dramatic moment in a scene where something important happens. Dramatica-wise, this would be a place where the author weaves one or more story points together. It is structural only in the sense that it reveals character, plot, theme, and genre through aspects of the storyform. Otherwise it is only storytelling and not structurally (dramatically) significant. Am I close?
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

dietelco
Published Writer

Re: How do you relate Dramatica theory to non-Dramatica users?

Postby dietelco » Jun 18, 2009 2:57 am

Definition of a beat : I think you hit the jackpot man!

Seriously, you're the expert asking the newbie if one is correct? (embarrassed now ~_~)

Return to “Dramatica Theory”