Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Tell us what you think about the latest release. Got any news on an upcoming film? Let us know. Talk about scripts or screenwriters here. Tell us who your favorite writers are. Talk about their body of work and debate with others why one writer is better than another...
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Postby Geoff1975 » Mar 21, 2013 6:34 pm

Since watching this movie in 1988, my mind went to the dynamic character of the duo protagonists, Bill, played by Alex Winter. I kept with him and felt as though I were watching his friend, Ted, played by Keanu Reeves.
Now, armed with Dramatica, I'm watching it again. This is odd. Twelve minutes into the film, we don't really learn about Bill. We do see a confrontation between Ted and his father, where his father threatens him with being sent to military school if his grades don't shape up. We see this a few further times in the movie. The father even plays the role of a police officer, keeping the characters required for to pass their history report in jail. Bill's Freudian fixation on his young stepmom is played for laughs, but nothing is made of this as a real concern. This felt odd every time I saw the movie.
Why did I keep focusing on Bill instead of Ted? I think there are two reasons. First, Bill seems much more proactive in the OS. Second, I think it's because of Alex Winter's dynamic acting performance.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 23, 2013 9:11 am

I think another reason is the Keanu Reeves frequently plays characters that are holistic problem solvers (Female Mental Sex) and linear thinkers find it difficult to empathize with holistic thinkers.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.
http://dramatica.com/
http://screenplay.com/

Return to “Movie Talk”