INT./EXT.

Writing for the big screen has its own unique challenges. Discuss character, theme, plot and theory issues in this forum.
chahlagarrett

INT./EXT.

Postby chahlagarrett » Mar 14, 2015 3:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a character who watches from a living room someone on the balcony through a balcony door. Which scene header would be more appropriate in this case? (IT's important to see the balcony)

INT./EXT. BALCONY DOOR - NIGHT plus a balcony scene header
Or INT./EXT. JOE'S APARTMENT LIVING ROOM/BALCONY - NIGHT

A minute later, the first character rushes onto the balcony. In this case, which of the above scene headers would be more appropriate? (It's a non- nterrupted movement from the lving room to the balcony)

I appreciate your help,
Chahla

Trip

Re: INT./EXT.

Postby Trip » Mar 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Greetings Chahla,

For a scene that takes place in a house, you would start with a full heading.

INT. HOUSE - DAY

and then if your character moved into the kitchen, then the sub-header could be

KITCHEN

You could do this for any room in the house, but if your character exits the interior of the house, return to using a full slugline.
For example:
INT. TRIP'S HOUSE - DAY

Trip stares at his computer screen. His fingers peck away at the keyboard. There's a knock at the back door.

KITCHEN

In the middle of the back door is a small glass window. A young woman peeks through.

Trip opens the door.

TRIP
Where's your key?

YOUNG WOMAN
I lost it.

BEDROOM

The young woman pulls a sheet off a bed.
Trip tosses a key on the dresser.

TRIP
Don't lose it.

EXT. VERANDA - DAY

A hammock swings in a light breeze. A key lies beneath it.

TRIP
Kids.

Clarity rules!
So, if there is a hint of a lack of clarity for the reader, default to using a full slugline.

I do not remember where I picked up the quote below but you may find it of interest.
“Remember, a slug is not just a storytelling device, it’s also a production management tool. Slugs not only let a reader know where scenes takes place, but also let the production team know what locations or settings are required for these scenes.”

Lastly, the advice above is offered only as a guide and not a rigid rule.
It is only an attempt to answer your question about sluglines and sub-headings within the same location.

Hope it helps. :)

chahlagarrett

Postby chahlagarrett » Mar 18, 2015 2:20 am

Thank you for your help.

Trip

Postby Trip » Mar 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Which one did you choose?

"INT./EXT. BALCONY DOOR - NIGHT plus a balcony scene header" Or "INT./EXT. JOE'S APARTMENT LIVING ROOM/BALCONY - NIGHT"?

EXT. or INT/EXT.?

chahlagarrett

Postby chahlagarrett » Mar 20, 2015 2:12 am

Hi,

I chose balcony door for the first case: Unless mistaken, I think a window, or a door etc is needed, to see both locations at the same time.
For the non-interrupted transition from one location to the other I went with the second scene header.

Thanks

Return to “Screenwriting”