Need a bit of advice

Writing for the big screen has its own unique challenges. Discuss character, theme, plot and theory issues in this forum.

Need a bit of advice

Postby TheWhiteWolf » Mar 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Ok, I have been writing poetry sense I was 13 and short stories for a few years now. But I wanted to try my hand at something new. So now, I am working on my first screenplay.
I am still in ACT 1 and I am at a part where my 2 main characters have found a note that was written by there mom 3 years ago.

Here is my question. How would I write a character note/message into my screenplay?

I have looked on bing. But I couldn't find anything that seemed helpful. Any advice would be great.

Chris Huntley
Site Admin

Re: Need a bit of advice

Postby Chris Huntley » Mar 06, 2014 10:01 am

This is not a definitive answer, but here are the two most obvious possibilities...

Have either of the two siblings read the contents aloud. This would be done in dialogue.

Code: Select all

Bob picks up the note and reads it aloud.

Blah blah blah...

Bob picks up the note.

Blah blah blah...

Put the contents of the note in the action indicating that it needs to be on screen and not read aloud.

Bobby picks up the note and looks at it.  The note says, "Blah blah blah..."

OR you can call out attention to the note specifically...

The note says, "Blah blah blah..."

The MOST important thing to remember is to be clear and brief. You do not need to call a shot because it is obvious as a way to communicate the contents of the note since there are many ways to indicate the contents on screen without doing a close up on it.
Chris Huntley
Write Brothers Inc.

Return to “Screenwriting”