Brainstorming Help: Optionlock

Writing for the big screen has its own unique challenges. Discuss character, theme, plot and theory issues in this forum.
Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Brainstorming Help: Optionlock

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi everybody.

Sometimes you've got to be smart enough to approach a task from a whole different direction. Using Dramatica, I've been figuring out scenes for my signposts, fitting in what scenes come to mind. In the past week, I realized maybe it's easier to just list those great ideas for twists as my five drivers first. That made the rest feel a lot simpler.

Now, I'm listing the options in my Limit. Anyone have interesting ideas for new options to tack on? I have only four. My protagonist is a famous pop-singer (late-20s) whose goal (conceptualization) is to establish a good legacy. So far, I have:
1. a merchandising campaign
2. charity benefit
3. try to get into the Hall of Fame (how?)
4. authorize an "in-depth" puff piece interview

I know options run through a story until the crisis, but does anyone have a gauge of how many are typical? Is there usually one per signpost or one per Act?

Thanks. Hope to get interesting replies.

kintelary
Writer

Re: Brainstorming Help: Optionlock

Postby kintelary » Dec 26, 2013 2:20 am

I am new to the storytelling and this is a good question for me to think about too. I think option-locks depend on whether you want options to balance through organic addition and removal or resolve until they run out. The number seems to depend on the emphasis within the story. So, an entire Act might explore the resolution of an option, giving Acts a clear break. Options might resolve in Scenes or Events and I think this affects pacing. 4 Acts, 24 Scenes, or 96 Events is what I have been looking at.

I am not sure how to add options to your list (for brainstorming). Is the protagonist the main character? What does "a good legacy" mean? How is the character going to run out of options as the climax approaches? What is the climax?

I don't know if any of that helps.
Cheers.

Geoff1975
Best-Selling Writer

Postby Geoff1975 » Dec 27, 2013 8:14 am

Thanks, Kintelary.

Yes, the protagonist is also the main character. By "good legacy" I meant people would remember her in history in a good light. She'd be remembered positively. Your second two questions are good questions to think about. I've also listed story drivers and wondered if the final story driver could relate to the last option.

kintelary
Writer

Postby kintelary » Dec 28, 2013 1:20 am

What do you mean final driver?

I read my thoughts above and I'm not sure I had things right. So take it all with a grain of salt. :)

Return to “Screenwriting”