Intercutting a prelude scene with credits

Writing for the big screen has its own unique challenges. Discuss character, theme, plot and theory issues in this forum.
RobertS
Writer

Intercutting a prelude scene with credits

Postby RobertS » Sep 01, 2013 4:40 pm

In this scene, the NASA space craft Sagan attempts to establish orbit around Jupiter and collides with something. I want the scene to be short, no more than say 1-1.5 minutes, intercut with credits, or perhaps have credits overlayed with it. I'm not sure. But one thing I'm sure about is that switching between interior and exterior scenes is driving the scene over my maximum.

Should I consider a series of shots or montage to shorten it.

On a related note, I know credits are starting to get downplayed lately. Opening credits are short if any and closing credits are starting to roll faster. I can understand the audience not caring who was director of lighting and such and directors wanting to get more movie in, but is it getting obsolete to have opening credits?

lordhornasstr

Re: Intercutting a prelude scene with credits

Postby lordhornasstr » Oct 02, 2013 12:22 am

Not at all. Opening credits are quite good, if done by a professional editor/director.

You should note the words I used. PROFESSIONAL. EDITOR. DIRECTOR.

The idea is that unless you are submitting a SHOOTING script, do not tell where the credits are going to start rolling. If this is a SPEC script, and you find out that in your mind, THIS is the best time to have the credits rolling, WAIT UNTIL your spec script is approved and you have a face to face meeting with the production company.

Your SPEC screenplay will get selected on the basis of how good it is. And in the history of SPEC SCRIPT READING, there is no one, repeat NO ONE, whose script got selected SOLELY on the basis of where the credits began rolling.

My suggestion--chill out, remove the credits part (a PROFESSIONAL EDITOR/DIRECTOR will see the credits there itself--or may even IMPROVE on your thoughts) and focus on getting the script right.

When that million dollar contract is YOURS, then you can, perhaps, SUGGEST where the credits should roll.

Best Regards,

LH

Return to “Screenwriting”