Austin Film Festival 2013: Call for Entries

Writing for the big screen has its own unique challenges. Discuss character, theme, plot and theory issues in this forum.
AustinFilmFestival
Writer

Austin Film Festival 2013: Call for Entries

Postby AustinFilmFestival » Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

I just wanted to make sure everybody was aware that Austin Film Festival has already begun accepting submissions for this year’s film program. My name is Jordan Arroyo and I work as an intern in the Film Department and I am happy to answer any questions you may have about submitting your film to us. Last year we received more entries than ever before and this year we are already on a record pace. Our Earlybird deadline is just two months away, May 1st, until which the submission fee is only $50. If you submit online through our website (not Withoutabox) you will receive $5 off:
http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/submit/film/online/

Known as “The Writer’s Festival” since its inception 20 years ago, Austin Film Festival celebrates films built on strong storytelling. AFF recognizes the importance of the creator at the core of filmmaking and screens the highest caliber narrative, documentary, and animated films — all of which demonstrate the power of a well-told story.

AFF provides filmmakers an invaluable platform among industry professionals and film-lovers. Offering A-list jurors, amazing venues, and an opportunity to network and learn, Austin Film Festival is the place to be this October. As AFF embarks on its 20th Anniversary, everything about the Festival & Conference will be bigger and brighter (or darker if it is more appropriate). A new DARK MATTERS competition category has been added to highlight horror films. All of AFF’s juried categories—Narrative Features, Documentary Features, Narrative Shorts, Student Shorts, Animated Shorts and Documentary Shorts—have increased cash awards. In addition to the competitions, all submissions will be eligible to screen out-of-competition in special sections such as Comedy Vanguard or the Texas Independents Series. On top of all that, the winning films in the Narrative Short and Animated Short categories are Academy Award®-eligible!

Earlybird entry fee if postmarked by May 1, 2013 -- $50
Regular entry fee if postmarked by June 15, 2013 -- $60
Late entry fee if postmarked by July 15, 2013 -- $75

AWARDS
1st Place Winners in both the Narrative Feature Category and Documentary Feature Category receive a cash prize of $2,500; reimbursement (up to $500) of one round-trip airfare to Austin to attend the 2013 AFF; reimbursement (up to $500) for stay at an AFF hotel during the 2013 Festival; and the AFF Bronze Typewriter Award. The 1st Place Winner in the Dark Matters Feature Category receives a cash prize of $1,000; reimbursement (up to $500) of one round-trip airfare to Austin to attend the 2013 AFF; reimbursement (up to $500) for stay at an AFF hotel during the 2013 Festival; and the AFF Bronze Typewriter Award.

For Shorts, 1st Place Winners receive a cash prize of $1,000 (Narrative Short Category only) or $500 (Narrative Student Short, Documentary Short, Animated Short Categories); reimbursement (up to $500) of one round- trip air fare to Austin to attend the 2013 AFF; reimbursement (up to $500) for stay at an AFF hotel during the 2013 Festival; and the AFF Bronze Typewriter Award.

In addition, all films are eligible for the Audience Award in their respective categories.

We look forward to receiving any entries you all want to send us. I’ll be checking this post frequently and I am happy to answer any questions or check out our FAQ: http://www.austinfilmfestival.com/submit/film/faq/

Sincerely,

Jordan Arroyo
Film Department Intern
Austin Film Festival

Return to “Screenwriting”