How do I collapse a specific level?

Have a special way to do something in your outline? Share tips and tricks or even swap ideas on templates that you've created. Anything you want to know or share, go here and talk with other users.
stephenbuck415
Best-Selling Writer

How do I collapse a specific level?

Postby stephenbuck415 » Mar 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I have an Outline 4D document with six levels. When I import an RTF with default heading styles and Outline 4D converts those styles to the corresponding (and default) level, the View > Outline displays everything in expanded mode. My question is then how do I collapse a specific level?

For example, let's say that I switch from Timeline to Outline and everything is expanded, and that I want only to see levels 2, 3 & 4 (hiding 5 & 6).

I am aware of the Custom Visibility tools in the upper left area of the control panel.
Dramatica E-Mail Discussion List:
https://buckspub.com/mailman/listinfo/dramatica_buckspub.com

KenTech
Technical Support

Re: How do I collapse a specific level?

Postby KenTech » Mar 06, 2012 9:47 am

The Level Selector (CTRL+L) is meant to hide/show specific levels. Perhaps, I'm not understanding what you are trying to do. Do you want to keep them showing but collapse them in one fell swoop?
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

stephenbuck415
Best-Selling Writer

Postby stephenbuck415 » Mar 07, 2012 12:14 pm

My .syv document contains outline levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.

Each level contains a writing prompt that is related to Dramatica, such as the name and description of a class, type, variation, and element.

When I view the document in Timeline, everything appears nicely organized.

When I view the document in Outline view, the doc is nicely organized but everything is expanded.

I want to utilize each level as a writing prompt, creating the most general first and then into the most specific.

For example, when I open the document in outline view, I want to be able to see only the Class level and the narrative field (its content) so that I can write a sentence to describe each class. All other levels should be invisible.

Next, I want to write a sentence that describes each of the Types. I want to see a summary of the Class that I have just typed up, and then only see the Type level and content field. All other levels should be collapsed.

Next, I want to write a sentence that describes each Variation. I want to see a summary of the Class and Type that I have just created, and want only the Type level and content block to be visible.

That's basically what I'm trying to accomplish.

stephenbuck415
Best-Selling Writer

Postby stephenbuck415 » Mar 08, 2012 12:54 am

Control-L seems to accomplish what I wanted to see.
Thanks

Return to “Outline 4D (formerly StoryView)”