Can't launch Movie Magic

Discuss how to use this leading screenplay formatting software. Have a tip? Question? Post it here and share ideas.
cheseg

Can't launch Movie Magic

Postby cheseg » Apr 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me, as Write Brothers technical "support" has not been able to and doesn't seem interested in trying.

I used MMSW on a Windows 7 computer before and it worked fine. Tried installing it on my new Windows 8, 64-bit laptop and it won't launch -- the best I get is the hourglass for about 2 seconds and then nothing. So far I've tried:

-- Uninstalling the program from my disc and installing the program from the website, and
-- Installing the driver on the website for 64-bit computers, and
-- Adding MMSW to Data Execution Prevention tab on properties, per tech support, and
-- Turning off my firewall and tried the whole thing all over again.
-- Installing another program (not related to MMSW) to see if it launched and it does, which makes me think it's not a problem with my computer.

I think that's it, though I might have forgotten something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

KenTech
Technical Support

Re: Can't launch Movie Magic

Postby KenTech » Apr 14, 2015 12:40 pm

cheseg,

We apologize that we haven't yet been able to figure out why Screenwriter isn't launching on your particular machine. This is a very strange stumper. Our other tech suggested that you create a new admin account via the Control Panel > User Accounts and Family Safety> User Accounts. I don't see any email correspondence of us trying that, and I think that is a good test at least.

Feel free to respond to my last email to you instead of replying here if you wish.
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

cheseg

Postby cheseg » Apr 14, 2015 5:57 pm

Thanks for the note, Ken. Just tried this and at first I got an error message saying MMSW failed to launch and that was it, but after that, it returned to the 2-second hourglass and then nothing. If you have any other ideas or if anyone else does, please let me know.

KenTech
Technical Support

Postby KenTech » Apr 15, 2015 7:36 am

Did you happen to jot down the exact wording of the launch failure message?
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

Return to “Using Screenwriter”