MMS 6 Not Working with Dragon Naturally Speaking 11

Discuss how to use this leading screenplay formatting software. Have a tip? Question? Post it here and share ideas.
drutgat
Published Writer

MMS 6 Not Working with Dragon Naturally Speaking 11

Postby drutgat » Mar 19, 2014 9:45 am

Hi,
I know that there was another post a couple of years ago by someone who had tried to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking with Movie Magic Screenwriter, and I do plan to write to the author and asking about his experience, but was wondering if there or other people out there who had experience of using these two programs together.

I am using MMS 6, with Win XP Professional, and cannot get Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 to work with MMS 6.

I do not want to have to go the route of dictating into Word, saving in RTF, and then importing the result into MMS 6 and cleaning it up, although I realize that this is an option.

I would be very grateful if anyone using these two programs together would share their experience with me about how they got them to work together!

Thanks very much.

KenTech
Technical Support

Re: MMS 6 Not Working with Dragon Naturally Speaking 11

Postby KenTech » Mar 20, 2014 1:49 pm

drutgat wrote:Hi,
I know that there was another post a couple of years ago by someone who had tried to use Dragon NaturallySpeaking with Movie Magic Screenwriter, and I do plan to write to the author and asking about his experience, but was wondering if there or other people out there who had experience of using these two programs together.

I am using MMS 6, with Win XP Professional, and cannot get Dragon Naturally Speaking 11 to work with MMS 6.

I do not want to have to go the route of dictating into Word, saving in RTF, and then importing the result into MMS 6 and cleaning it up, although I realize that this is an option.

I would be very grateful if anyone using these two programs together would share their experience with me about how they got them to work together!

Thanks very much.

drutgat,

We haven't yet tested Dragon NS 11 in-house, so we can't guarantee compatibility. However, I will see if we can get a copy of it here in-house.

In the mean time, a few questions:

• What Mac or Windows operating system are you running?
  • What specific flavor of Dragon are you using, i.e., Home, Premium, Professional?
  • Does any part of the dictation work?
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

drutgat
Published Writer

Postby drutgat » Mar 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Ken,
Many thanks for your reply.

For some reason, gremlins were interfering with my computer when I posted my message, and I am happy to say that Dragon Naturally Speaking 11.5 Premium edition (which is the version of the program that I have) is, for the most part, working with MMS6 on my XP Professional based computer.

Unfortunately, for some reason executing most of the commands (such as 'Enter') which works in, for example, MS Word, and email programs, does not seem to be working in MMS6.

It may be that I have to operate by trial and error until I find 'function' commands that do work in MMS6, but I would be very interested to hear about any other users' experience with, and suggestions about, this, and would very much like to know what your experience is if you can get a hold of a copy of DNS 11.5, or even 12.

I am also curious to know whether DNS 11.5 works with MMS6 in Win 8, but I have not yet been able to get DNS to work with/in Win 8 ( which, apparently is possible, despite what the makers of DNS say).

Once again, many thanks for your help.

KenTech
Technical Support

Postby KenTech » Mar 20, 2014 4:09 pm

That was our experience when we tested Screenwriter with Dragon NS 8. The basic dictation works fine, but the navigation and text selecting commands seemed to be wonky. You may have to use a hybrid style of dictating, whereby you dictate the text but keep your hands on TAB and ENTER to navigate the cursor.
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

drutgat
Published Writer

Postby drutgat » Mar 20, 2014 4:23 pm

Hi Ken,
Yes, you're right, I might have to do this, and while it is not a great sacrifice, it would be nice to have the two programs work nicely with each other.

Thanks for your reply, and looking forward to your response to another thread that I just started.

Return to “Using Screenwriter”