Setups and Payoffs in Movie Magic Screenwriter?

Discuss how to use this leading screenplay formatting software. Have a tip? Question? Post it here and share ideas.
MSavage

Setups and Payoffs in Movie Magic Screenwriter?

Postby MSavage » Dec 27, 2013 10:19 am

I am a MMS user who loves to have certain elements foreshadowed and payed off later on in a story. Anybody know how I can set up Movie Magic Screenwriter to keep track of these setups and payoffs? Thanks :D

stephenbuck415
Best-Selling Writer

Re: Setups and Payoffs in Movie Magic Screenwriter?

Postby stephenbuck415 » Dec 27, 2013 11:09 am

I've gone back and forth with two systems: MMS and Outline 4D.

In MMS I've used the Notes feature, prefacing each Setup and Payoff with two Dramatica terms using CAPS so they are easier to identify, FW (Forewarning) and DIV (Dividend).

I've leaned towards using Outline 4D to track FW's and DIV's because of the timeline feature. I append a numbering system to the end of each so that it's easy to see that I have not left any hanging. In the timeline, they appear as: FW1, DIV1, FW2, DIV2, etc.
Dramatica E-Mail Discussion List:
https://buckspub.com/mailman/listinfo/dramatica_buckspub.com

MSavage

Re: Setups and Payoffs in Movie Magic Screenwriter?

Postby MSavage » Dec 27, 2013 4:51 pm

stephenbuck415 wrote:I've gone back and forth with two systems: MMS and Outline 4D.

In MMS I've used the Notes feature, prefacing each Setup and Payoff with two Dramatica terms using CAPS so they are easier to identify, FW (Forewarning) and DIV (Dividend).

I've leaned towards using Outline 4D to track FW's and DIV's because of the timeline feature. I append a numbering system to the end of each so that it's easy to see that I have not left any hanging. In the timeline, they appear as: FW1, DIV1, FW2, DIV2, etc.

Perfect! Thanks for the help Steve :)

Return to “Using Screenwriter”