"Assign Voices..."

Discuss how to use this leading screenplay formatting software. Have a tip? Question? Post it here and share ideas.
filmmakerguy

"Assign Voices..."

Postby filmmakerguy » Jun 17, 2013 5:14 pm

Hello fellow MMS mavens!
So, I'm lonely, and was having my screenplay read to me by MMS...a little staid, but serves its purpose.

1-Wanted to see if there was any way to expand the library of voices. I can't tell if these are Mac OSX based or MMS generated, as any "Speech" or "Voices" folders I can find in my System Library or User Library do not contain anything. I understand if they're hidden/invisible, I just wanna add more! Anyone have luck or any experience with this?

2-When I went to "modify" the existing voices, thinking tweaking what is there could give more variety, I found that something wonky is going on...On p.214 of the PDF manual, it states: "Setup Available Voices—Clicking this button changes the configuration of the window by showing options to add or modify existing voices." And there is the rub; I do not have that button! I have a main menu/floating box like on p.212, but nowhere do I have the "Setup Available Voices" button to press and reveal more options, including sever features listed following that. HELP!

3-Would be great if there was also a "live" speed button or jog shuttle, so when voices are reading, you could accelerate a bit to zoom through parts without having to stop/start.

Any input is appreciated!
-Alex

KenTech
Technical Support

Re: "Assign Voices..."

Postby KenTech » Jun 18, 2013 3:17 pm

filmmakerguy wrote:1-Wanted to see if there was any way to expand the library of voices. I can't tell if these are Mac OSX based or MMS generated, as any "Speech" or "Voices" folders I can find in my System Library or User Library do not contain anything. I understand if they're hidden/invisible, I just wanna add more! Anyone have luck or any experience with this?

The voices are built into the operating system, but you can choose "Other.." from the list of voices and download other ones from Apple.

filmmakerguy wrote:2-When I went to "modify" the existing voices, thinking tweaking what is there could give more variety, I found that something wonky is going on...On p.214 of the PDF manual, it states: "Setup Available Voices—Clicking this button changes the configuration of the window by showing options to add or modify existing voices." And there is the rub; I do not have that button! I have a main menu/floating box like on p.212, but nowhere do I have the "Setup Available Voices" button to press and reveal more options, including sever features listed following that. HELP!

The screenshot in the manual is for the Windows version that uses the Microsoft Speech Engine where you can adjust the speed and pitch of the voices. Mac OS X allows you to change the speed of the voices under Apple > System Preferences > [System] Dictation & Speech > Text to Speech.

filmmakerguy wrote:3-Would be great if there was also a "live" speed button or jog shuttle, so when voices are reading, you could accelerate a bit to zoom through parts without having to stop/start.

We hope to build in better controls, something akin to normal stop, play/pause, etc. buttons, for the text to speech at some point in the future.
Ken H.
Write Brothers, Inc.
Technical Support

Return to “Using Screenwriter”